Wednesday 2 April 2014

My New Hair Regimen

By now am sure you all know how serious i have become about my hair routine. Its so serious i find myself staring at peoples' hair and mentally analysing what they are doing right and what they are probably doing wrong. hehehe Adhiambo, its never that serious.

So for the past 2 months or so since the great mishap, i have tried to be loving to my hair (at least what was left), and am happy to report that i can feel some serious growth every time i try to massage my hair. I have really learnt a lot about hair, and my only regret is that i didn't know about all this stuff sooner. Had i, i would be rocking a serious mane, but am grateful to have started this #TeamNatural journey.

Haiya, Back to my regimen. So previously i used to weave my hair, and i would oil it fortnightly. I used to have my treatment done at the salon monthly and blow dry my hair before having it plaited. And that was it. Imagine that was all i did for my hair. Now that i know better, i even find my hair routine enjoyable instead of tedious. Also the fact that my hair is short and natural means its easier to maintain.

Apple Cider Vinegar, Hair Treatment, Aloe Vera Juice, Hair cream and coconut oil
Now that i have learnt this much, my hair care routine had had a 180 degree turn, for the better, I will hopefully post a video in August. (How i pray i will have a healthy mane by then)

Below is what i do to my hair on a weekly basis. Time is not an excuse as i don't take more than 20 minutes in the evenings. Plus if you have the time to watch a full series up to midnight, me thinks you can make time for your hair.
  1. Washing Procedure: Previously i would have my hair washed at the salon, i didn't even know what products were being used. But now i am more informed. I had already bought my shampoo and conditioner when i learnt that most shampoos can be tough on hair, especially those that contain sulfate. Too bad the one i bought has sulfate listed as the first ingredient. So i have reduced my shampoo consumption, and i only use it after every four washes. Once i exhaust it, i will never buy shampoo again. i will only co-wash my hair (washing using conditioner only as opposed to shampoo + conditioner).   Pre-poo: Before washing my hair, i also apply coconut oil to avoid excessive drying of hair and stripping of nutrients during the washing procedure.  Before i wash my hair i rinse it with Apple Cider Vinegar diluted in water and massage my hair. This gets rid of dandruff and product build up. Then i rinse my hair and apply conditioner, rinse and then apply coconut oil. This serves as my sealing for that day since its done on wet hair. Then i rinse with Aloe Vera juice (Ngai after all this then ikatae kumea, hehehe kicheko nitacheka jamaneni!). Lastly i dry with an old T-shirt, no more wringing with towels. When out of the shower, i apply my hair cream.
  2. Moisturising and sealing: I have started using the LOC method to trap and seal moisture in my hair. I tried to get Shea Butter from the supermarket but it wasn't available. I however got some cream, only problem is it has mineral oil in it. :(
  3. Hot oil treatment: i use a bottle where i mix my oils. I use coconut, olive and castor oil in the ratio 2:1:1.   I mix the oils and let the bottle sit in hot water for around 5 minutes. I then wet my hair with a little water and apply the oil generously on my hair and scalp. 
  4. Protein deep conditioning hair mask: So far i have done this twice and my hair has become so soft and manageable. I take a quarter of a medium avocado, mash and sieve it to make it pasty, mix with 1 tablespoon of heated honey (my honey crystallised), one tablespoon of olive oil and add one egg yolk (yes i also made that look the first time someone mentioned raw eggs). I try to use the yolk only as the first time i used the whole egg it was too runny and i had a lot left over that i ended up throwing away. I mix the ingredients and apply to my hair, leave for 30 minutes then wash it out.
  5. Hair treatment cream: I bought this treatment that has Camomile and honey, it smells beautiful and i hope it has a similar effect on my hair's well being. i apply it to wet hair and leave it on for 30 minutes.
  6. Apply oil and massage for 5 minutes. Do you know how long 5 minutes is? So i apply oil twice weekly, once using pure castor oil. It is quite heavy, however considering i started with the castor oil challenge, i try my best. I also apply my coconut+olive+castor oil mix once per week.
  7. *whispering* I also tried the Onion+Garlic juice treatment, I know, i was also weirded at first but hey, a girl had to try. Grate an onion and a clove of garlic. Add a tablespoon of water. Then apply evenly on scalp. Apart from the smell i could really feel the juice get on my scalp. If you have ever applied sulphur 8, then my scalp felt exactly like that. Onion juice is a story for another day.
There you have it, my hair is not long so these routines are quite simple for me.
You can now imagine the difference in my hair care routine ever since i had the mishap, and compare to what i used to do before. Anyway, hopefully by August i will have a success story for y'all.

Whoever knew hair loss would be a blessing in disguise? well for me it has been, as i have learnt a lot.

Have a Beautiful Night
Adhis♥

5 comments:

  1. Don't give up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i wont dear, at least now i know what to do and what to avoid ♥

      Delete
  2. Hello Adhyambo,
    I am a kenyan visiting Europe right now, and you would not believe the hair problems I have right now :-)....... I have made a decision to go natural and have been reading about what to do,but I cannot even find some of the products here,yet I am told there is supposed to be plenty!!!!!! Confusion galore hehehehe....... All in all,I am gonna be checking the blog to see your progress; seeing as I need all the inspiration I can get :p thanks for posting, you made me smile

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaaaa, at first i was really stressed then i went online and found out we are so many we could start a church :) i can confess i have seen Massive changes in my hair since i started, and the youtube videos are so helpful and encouraging. Usife moyo tuko wengi. Hopefully i will be a success story by August ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I am happy I am not alone.......Thanks again for posting.Ntakuonyesha progress hopefully when I begin.Goodluck

      Delete